Friday, May 29, 2009

Offseason Roundtable #9

In an effort to not only increase our chatter about the Cards, but to also increase some reader participation, Edge, RV, and Alan will be doing these roundtables every week. Love the answers? Want to post your own thoughts? Of course you do. And you can do so in the Comments section. Because remember, dear readers, a smarmy sarcastic blog about Ball State athletics is only as good as its small yet powerful reader base. Have at it, boys and girls...


1.) The American Football Coaches Association announced this week they would be moving to a secret final ballot and consider reducing the number of teams in preseason polls to 10 or 15 rather than 25. Will these changes make the poll more usable or better? Or is this another example of the NCAA doing the opposite of what makes sense?
Edge: None of that makes sense to me... why a secret ballot? What the hell do they have to be secretive about? I hope someone out there can shed some light on this because it's just so... backwards. As it pertains to preseason polls being only 10 or 15 teams, I suppose I can see that. Most of the time 16-25 are a wild shot in the dark anyway. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Whatever. But yeah, this whole "secret ballot" thing is fishy. And it sucks. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has a secret ballot for inductions, and it's considered a huge joke in the music business. So, I hope the people in charge pay attention to this.

Alan: I have no problem with the Coach's Poll doing whatever it would like to do. However, if they continue with the secrecy and cloak and dagger methods, then it needs to be nowhere near a part of the BCS. The simple fact of the matter is that the poll is inherently flawed, it's membership incapable of being non-biased, and teams are already at a disadvantage because of or lack of preseason "hype" from networks, magazines, and the media. Want to know what would be awesome? Don't do any sort of rankings until week 6 or so. At least then you can evaluate a team's total body of work.

RV: The coaches poll is about as big of a joke as it comes because there is no reason for the coaches to take it seriously. The amount of politicking and bullshit that happens in its previous iteration is already a joke, making it completely secret just makes it even worse. There is no value in reducing the number of teams in the polls because it'll just make the top 10 or 15 even more difficult to vote for, not that they do the voting anyways. This makes as much sense as reducing the amount of recruiting that the head coach can do during the offseason. Hopefully they'll just abolish the coaches poll.


2.) The other dramatics this week were provided by Kiffin and Spurrier at the SEC Spring Meetings and their small scale confrontation. Buy or sell Kiffin ever being considered one of the boys amongst SEC Coaches?
Edge: Sell. Kiffin is a joke, and he's got no business being considered "one of the guys." How about this? Win some games, maybe win the SEC, and then talk some shit. But you can't be a first year coach and defecate all over your chance at some good PR. I've heard it said that even bad publicity is still publicity. Well, this type of bad publicity is something you don't want. I'd be appalled if I were a Tennessee booster or donor. But getting back to the main point, no, Kiffin should be once and for all the leper of the SEC. He's pretty much Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack", only he's not even remotely funny, appealing, enjoyable, and he doesn't even have a radio in his golf bag. He sucks.

Alan: I'm going to neither buy nor sell at this point. Unfortunately, in the SEC, it's all about victories. If Kiffin can win a conference title, then he'll be the lovable loudmouth, aka Steve Spurrier. However, I don't see that happening anytime soon, so ultimately, young Mr. Kiffin has no future except as the spoiled petulant child that's been rearing it's ugly head all over the offseason. Time will tell...

RV: Sell. No way anyone is going to respect Kiffin. He won't do anything to deserve their respect and will only be noticed for his flame-outs. I'm bored with him already.


3.) When asked about the potential of the Big 10 taking on another member, Joe Paterno focused on Rutgers, Pitt, or Syracuse. When asked specifically about Notre Dame, Paterno said, "There’s some pressure, I would suppose, to maybe go back to Notre Dame and ask again, which I would not be happy with. I think they’ve had their chance." Your thoughts?
Edge: Crotchety old JoePa. Let him have his say, he's earned the right. If he doesn't like ND, fine. Their feud goes back the the 19th century anyway. My thinking is that JoePa will be gone before a 12th team is added anyway. So, just sit back and nod and say, "ok, ok" then let him go take a nap. We've got better things to talk about.

Alan: Kudos to Joe Pa for being lucid enough to even formulate an opinion on the matter. However, if Joe Pa or anyone else for that matter, believes the Big Ten wouldn't love to have the Irish as part of the conference they're fooling themselves. ND will never go for that, and now the Big Ten coaches have to save face by acting like they didn't want them in the first place.

RV: Paterno does realize this isn't 1993, right? The Big 10 would take Notre Dame and drop Penn State if they could, so...yeah, about that.


4.) Percy Harvin this week insinuated that he watched Tim Tebow turn down celebs and sports reporters who basically threw themselves at him. If you were St. Tebow, and assuming you were ready to beat some cheeks, who would you be unable to resist in the sports world? (QUALIFIER: Erin Andrews boning not allowed, largely because of the "No shit, sherlock" principle)
Edge: I plead the fifth. My wife reads this.

Alan: Aww... that's sweet Edge. As for me, I think I would have to go with Heidi Watney from New England Sports Network. If for no other reason than to slip on a Yankees jersey when she wasn't looking and slam her head in the headboard.

RV: If I was Tebow, I would obviously be happy with Kirk Herbstreit. But if I was me, with the advantages of Tim Tebow, I'd have a hard time saying no to anyone, because I'm a big slut. And if you're curious why I'm a huge slut, I learned it from every one of my exgirlfriends.


5.) Apparently they are beginning a little thing known as the Stanley Cup Finals this weekend. Give the readers your prediction about which team dominated by Canadians and Europeans will win an American Sports Trophy. Bonus... What would you do with the Stanley Cup if you had it for a day?
Edge: I'd say the Red Wings, but I know nothing about hockey anymore. But I'll mentally root for Detroit because I think that town needs some good news. Ok, if I had the Cup for a day... man that's a tough one. I'd definitely drink a cold O'Shannon's draft from it first. Then I'd go get some glamour shots at the mall with it. Next I'd take to a hockey-loving buddy of mine and not let him touch it. Then, before i gave it back, I'd turn it upside down and carve "Brooks Was Here" in it. Bonus to those who get the reference.

Alan: Get busy livin' or get busy dyin', Edge. As for the series, I'll say Pittsburgh in 6, but only because I have to. I've been forced to watch all of this year's Pens playoff game by my substitute Heidi Watney, and I do like them, though Sidney Crosby's playoff beard looks sketched on by a sharpie. As for the Cup, I wonder what Cash 4 Gold would give me for it...

RV: Wings-Pens, rematch of last year's finals. Pens are a year older and the Wings have been playing out of their mind. I think it all will come down to the team that plays better together and has the most heart will come out victorious. It'll be a hard fought, closely contested series with the victors probably edging out the series in 7. Generic enough for you? I'd take it tailgating and keep enough ranch dressing in the cup for all of the tailgate to enjoy.


Readers... comment section... go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LEAVE KIFFYKINS ALONE!!!



(***to be said in the style of that blond weird kid yelling about Britney Spears)

Unknown said...

Why do we need any polls before the season is over? It creates controversy and publicity for the sport but in the interests of getting the two best teams in the final game why not wait until the very end to rank your teams. That way nobody needs to leap frog someone else. 1 Loss is 1 loss and Texas gets their shot at FLA.

Rehabilitated? Well, now let me see. You know, I don't have any idea what that means.